Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Pasties

This is a slow-to-make but very convenient food; my family loves it.

Biscuit dough - maybe go a bit easy on the leavening
Instant mashed potato flakes
Canned veggies

Optional: onion flakes or powder; garlic powder; season salt; boullion/broth (the salt and boullion are either/or); coriander, cumin, pepper.

Roll the biscuit dough fairly thin (about 1/4 inch, or 2/3 cm, however you're counting). You are, of course, welcome to boil and mash your own potatoes, chop and parboil the veggies fresh - but I feel this recipe takes enough work as it is. I do rinse the canned veg several times; sometimes I add broth, but usually just water, to the potato flakes, then stir in the veggies, trying not to mash them. Cut out circles of dough, 4-5 inches (about 10 cm) across. Put 1-2 T filling (really- it doesn't seem like enough, but it is) in the middle, pinch the edges together, and bake. (A small pastry press is great here, but not essential.) Brushing the inside edge with water helps them stick closed; brushing the tops with oil helps them brown. I find that 350 F seems to work well; check on them at around 20 minutes, and decide how much browner you want them. They can take a while - it doesn't seem to entirely depend on the oven. Great for sack lunches- if you do the size I've suggested, they can make an entire meal in themselves.

1 comment:

Karolienkie said...

N

What a surprise!! I don't check my blog very often.. Just saw your comment..

Where are u guys. Email me at Karolienkie@aol.com and we can catch up!!